My Belly After Fruit, Bacon, Mamosa's, Nachos, and Beer.....
Powered by Blogger.

Two Thumbs Up For Bacon

Doesn't It Look Great!!!!!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Good Looks, Honesty, and Warnings

I want to start this entry off with a reminder that I drove my mom and my grandma to the funeral of my sister-in-law's grandmother....and I am sick. Or it's allergies, I can't quite tell.

Anyway, by the time we left the funeral it was around 8:30 at night. I was a little loopy because I was tired and it had been a long day. But for some reason, my Grandma was cracking me up. I don't know how often anyone really sits down and listens to what she says, but by golly, I finally figured out where I get my quirkiness from. SHE IS A HOOT!!! What initially set it off was, my Grandma was telling me and my mom where the reception for the funeral had been. She just kept saying it over and over again, when I finally asked her what the heck she was talking about, she replied with "I am telling you where the reception was," "I know Grandma, I was just there you don't need to tell me where it was at." "Stacey, I was saying it out loud so you could tell me if I was correct. Arlinda is going to ask me where I went tonight and I want to be sure to get it right." That was the first time I busted out laughing.

The second time was when we were on the freeway, and I was driving in the HOV lane. My grandma asked me what the lane next to the HOV lane was, and I told her it was the shoulder. She responded with "Okay, so that is where people go when they have car trouble..." Then she looked at the road in front of us and said the funniest thing....wait for it...."and this is what you drive on."

At that point, I couldn't hold it back and I was laughing so hard. Grandma, of course, didn't appreciate that and started to explain what she was saying. After her explanation, which was ok, I told her to think about how someone on the outside might have taken that. With that, we both laughed.

Then, that is when it happened....the flashing lights appeared out of nowhere and I look down at my speedometer. I pull over to the right and waited. Grandma only made one comment....in the beginning. When the officer came up he asked me if I knew the speed limit....I did (65 mph)....then he asked me if I knew how fast I was going....I did....."When I saw your lights come on, 80." That is when Grandma reacted...she didn't like hearing my speed. I could only respond with "I know Grandma."

When the officer walked away my mom, oh yeah she was in the car the whole time and didn't say a peep until, "I don't know why you told him the truth." I responded with, "I am going to get a ticket either way, so I figure, why not go down with a clean conscience...."

All the while I am hoping that he will give me a warning, but remembering that I only have luck on getting through on radio shows. The officer returned and did give me a warning!!! Can you believe it. He told me that I need to pay more attention and be careful. Then Grandma told him it was her fault, we were just coming back from a funeral and our minds were elsewhere. Plus it was her car and she should have been keeping an eye on me.

I leaned over and told the officer "You might have given me a warning, but I am going to hear it all the way home. And when my cousins find out, I met be better off getting a ticket :)" He thought it was really funny and even proceeded to tell Grandma that it is good to let her hair down and feel the need for speed. I wanted to make a comment that he just pulled me over for speeding, but I didn't want to risk it. I had already made two jokes with a good result, I didn't want to press three.

After we pulled away and continued our journey home...I told Grandma that I think the officer gave me a warning because he thought I was good looking. She responded by laughing really hard, and "No, I think it was because you were honest." If that isn't a hit below the belt....But my mom came back with, "No, I think it was how respectful you were to your Grandma and you apologized."

P.S. If you ever want to hear Grandma really bust a lung laughing, make a joke at how good looking you are....Apparently that is her weakness ;)